On Wednesday night I flew down to Pensacola, Fl... for Kevin's winging!
It was such an awesome experience. The Navy really did a fantastic job of making the entire experience special for the winger and their family. Here is a very brief overview of what exactly happened:
Thursday: We went on a tour of the Naval Air Station that Kevin has been training out of called Whiting Field. It was so cool to have Kevin show us where he has been spending all of his time for the past 6 months. We were able to check out the classrooms, the really cool equipment (night vision goggles!), the helicopters he trained on, and (my personal fav) the flight simulators! After touring around we attended the
"Soft Wing Patch" ceremony. This was where the guys (and gals!) received the wings they wear on their everyday attire - their flight suit!
Here are a few pictures from that day:
Friday: The day began with a Catholic mass for those students who wanted to attend. This was followed by all of the students attending a "Blessing of the Wings". It was such a nice ceremony - and Kevin will surely make fun of me for this - but I got a little choked up.
Afterward, there was the official winging ceremony. This was the event where Kevin actually got his wings. I had the honor of actually pinning them on... which was not an easy task! Those things are pretty hard to pin on - especially on stage in front of a ton of people! It was so great though - and those gold wings looked incredible on Kevin's uniform. There was an after party later which was so much fun.
Overall the experience was wonderful. I am so incredibly proud of Kevin and all of his accomplishments and just happy I was able to share in his big day!
Here is one more picture of us with my mom... I'm hoping to have more soon.
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment